It is unsettling to think about what sewage damage can do to your house. When there is a sewage backup, immediate action must be taken, especially when it occurs in the basement. Sewage backups contain contaminants that not only damage your house but pose a health threat to your family members and loved ones. While it is always best to consult the professionals, there are some important tips for cleaning up a sewage backup in the basement or crawlspace, and how to prevent it from ever happening again.
Best Way to Clean Up Sewage in a Basement
If you’re wondering how to clean up raw sewage in a basement, there are several steps to follow. Cleaning up the situation requires a quick response, careful inspection, dutiful clean-up, and preventable measures for future backups. There are many benefits to choosing a professional water damage restoration company over handling the clean-up by yourself. Sewer damage releases disease-causing organisms that can contaminate skin and can cause undesirable side effects, such as nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. Sewage clean-up also exposes you to the risk of respiratory infections and allergic reactions caused from inhaling associated airborne microorganisms.
Respond Quickly to a Sewage Spill for Safety
A professional team is better equipped and practiced in the best ways to clean up sewage in a basement or crawl space. Here are some steps to handle the situation.
Inspect the Scope of Sewage Backup Clean-Up
Immediately after the spill is noticed, inspect the building interior and exterior to see the scope of clean-up and disinfection required.
Decide Who Will Perform the Sewage Backup Clean-Up
If you are able to perform the clean-up on your own, here are a few tips:
- Wear appropriate skin covering such as rubber gloves, eye protection, rubber boots, and impervious coveralls
- Never directly touch the sewage material as it contains harmful contaminants
- Be sure that your bare skin does not come into contact with sewage; be careful when washing or spraying off items outdoors
- After cleaning, thoroughly wash and disinfect your hands and clothing, gloves, boots, or other accessory that you will use again
- As a precaution, ensure your vaccinations are up to date
Some benefits of hiring a professional water restoration company are:
- If you are properly covered, your insurance company will pay for the clean-up
- The professional team is equipped to handle larger work spaces
- They can handle a variety of damages including a contaminated HVAC system
- Your family or residents are protected from risks of biohazards
Remove Non-Salvageable Items
Any wet carpeting, padding, furniture, or curtains that are too damaged should be discarded. Valuable pieces, however, are able to be salvaged from a professional sanitization and cleaning company.
Prevent a Future Sewage Backup
The cause of a sewage backup can be caused by something as seemingly harmless as a toilet overflow. Be sure to call a professional or licensed plumber to help with any drain unclogging. If you have a private septic system, be sure to have it maintained.
Sewage Clean-Up and Restoration with Flood Services Canada
While it may be possible to handle an overflowing toilet on your own, more serious forms of sewage backup require professional remediation in order to avoid jeopardizing your health and that of others. At Flood Services Canada, our 24/7 Sewage Clean-Up and Restoration teams are ready to provide quick-response action to minimize damage to our clients’ property in Toronto, Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Maple, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Brampton, Mississauga, Georgina and Lakeshore areas. We will use the best techniques, personnel, and technology to ensure your home or business is clean, safe, and dry as soon as possible.